The McMahon Archive

Home of the McMahoniacs

The McMahon Archive

The McMahon Archive

Senior Track Athlete Elizabeth Lysak Breaks School’s Pole Vault Record

On Thursday, February 1st, Track athletes who met FCIAC requirements competed in the FCIAC Championship meet at Hillhouse High School in New Haven. Among those athletes was senior Elizabeth Lysak, who tied for 5th in the FCIAC. She also placed second at FCIAC West Divisionals, which is a last chance for athletes who have met or show potential to meet FCIAC requirements before the FCIAC Championship Meet. 

At the Championship Meet, she not only cleared 8’0 but also broke the current school record for Indoor Pole Vault. The previous record holder was Kiera Henry, who cleared 7’6 in 2022. 

Elizabeth, who competed in 2 different events expressed some concern before they even started. 

“I was stressed because long jump started earlier than expected and interfered with the pole vault, so I was nervous about my stamina and also nervous about having enough time to change my equipment,” Elizabeth said. “I was running back and forth between long jump and pole vault since both were taking place at the same time”

“I fouled my first 2 long jump attempts then cleared 8’0 on my first 8’0 pole vault attempt, and I was upset about fouling before going into the 8’0 pole vault attempt”

Because of her stellar performance, she will also be attending the State Championships on Thursday, February 8th. She also competed in long jump, in which she set a personal record. At the State Championship, she will also be competing in long jump.