The McMahon Archive

Home of the McMahoniacs

The McMahon Archive

The McMahon Archive

Samantha Ripegno Profile

Frozen Moments Photography

Samantha Ripegno has multiple roles in the McMahon community, from English teacher to field hockey coach. From 7:30 to 2:15, you’ll find Ms. Ripegno at her desk drinking an iced pumpkin chai while she prepares lessons for the day. After the final bell, Ms. Ripegno becomes Coach Rip, on her way to the field with a Peach Vibe Celsius and field hockey stick in hand.

Ms. Ripegno grew up in Stamford, CT. She started playing field hockey when she was 15 years old, as a goalie. After graduating from Westhill High School in 2017, Ms. Ripegno decided she wasn’t ready to put down her books or her field hockey stick. Her aspirations took her to WestConn University where she majored in Secondary English Education and became a goalie for WestConn’s Wolves field hockey. 

She knew she wanted to become a teacher as early as her sophomore year of high school when she had an amazing English teacher who sparked her love for teaching. She said this teacher helped her discover that, “Teaching can be more than just words on a paper.”

By her senior year of high school, she was set on pursuing coaching, inspired by the coach who believed in her through the highs and the lows. Having someone see potential in her encouraged her to be the best person she could be, and she wanted to bring that same encouragement and motivation to another generation of young girls. She believes “Anything is possible if you have that one person that will always support you,” And she has become that person for many students and athletes.

No matter how many missed goals or bad passes, Coach Rip doesn’t give up on her girls. Despite how many athletes she has, she takes the time to notice their strengths and weaknesses and form a relationship with each of them.

Coach Rip and her captains (Frozen Moments Photography)

When asked what made her feel accomplished, Coach Rip stated, “Tangible progress in my team. I love seeing these young girls develop respect and discipline, watching them adopt these principles as they mature into young women.” She believes the mental aspects of coaching are just as important as the physical ones. Coach Rip teaches her girls so much more than reverse sweeps and block tackles. She takes on a meaningful role in each of her athletes’ lives, as a role model, mentor, and teacher.

Ms. Ripegno believes mistakes are necessary for growth and improvement. She constantly reassures her team; “The worst that could happen is you mess up, and you learn from it. It’s a win-win.” That reassurance allows her team to be bold and confident on the field.

Whether on the field or in the classroom, Ms. Ripegno is a crucial part of our community. In case you’re struggling with field hockey sweeps, English homework, or just in need of a second opinion, the decorated door to room 2056 is always open.