The McMahon Archive

Home of the McMahoniacs

The McMahon Archive

The McMahon Archive

The Many Lives of Rosie Strickland

Superheroes, with the challenge of fighting awesome villains, have the greatest challenge of balancing their double life. Rosie Strickland, a senior at our school, balances more than these heroes. An incredible student, lacrosse and volleyball player, musician, writer, and activist, who somehow manages to do it all. I asked Rosie some questions to gain insight into this complicated life of hers.

What are you most proud of in your high school experience?

“In my high school experience, I am most proud of the way I have learned to balance all of the things I do. With sports, guitar, many different clubs, and not to mention school work, I’ve had to develop my own strategies for not overwhelming myself. I’m really just proud of myself for not burning out I think.”

For all the younger folks reading: this question is for you – what advice would you give to underclassmen looking to succeed in academics or school in general?

“My biggest piece of advice would be to hold compassion for yourself. I think it’s important to take on challenges, both in school and social life, but it’s extremely important to go easy on yourself and know that everyone works differently. You don’t have to be able to do the same things as everyone else. Having this mindset helps a lot to limit unnecessary stress and pressure.”

Getting a little bit more personal, I asked Rosie, “ What hobbies would you say are a big part of your life?”

Rosie responded, “I love music, and I love to play guitar and write songs. I also love to write stories and poetry. I play volleyball and lacrosse and I like to watch movies. I also like to take a lot of hikes and read good books. Loving Boygenius* is my biggest hobby.” 

*For context, Boygenius is a band consisting of Julien Baker, Lucy Dacus, and Phoebe Bridgers. The band has gained attention from some of the most well known musicians of our time, such as Elton John and Dave Grohl (who even performed with them)! When people say they are a “superfan”, they don’t hold a torch to Rosie’s connection to Boygenius… especially Julien Baker. My personal theory is that Rosie feels so connected to this band because she herself is a genius.

Rosie has managed to balance her school life and personal life. Hopefully understanding her ability to do so will help you as well.