The McMahon Archive

Home of the McMahoniacs

The McMahon Archive

The McMahon Archive

Girls Softball 2024

The girls softball team is coming off a 6-12 season ranked 14th out of 18 in the FCIAC. Following a better season of 10-10 ranked 7th in the FCIAC season. Like most other sports, McMahon’s softball team is in the midst of rebuilding. 

Most of the softball teams starting lineup are juniors led by their pitcher Caroline Satler who just reached over 100 strikeouts last season. Some main senior players are Ashley Rysz, Elizabeth Skidmore, and Hedeanny Bastardo. 

Softball tryouts were just held two weeks ago led by their Coach Cindy Todd. The captains for the year are Alexa Smith, Caroline Sattler, Hedeanny Bastardo, and Elizabeth Skidmore. 

The softball team has an annoying dilemma over the resolve for field use. Norwalk High, our rival school, needs to use our brand new softball field because of renovations to their school. With this dilemma McMahon will have to cut practice times, and share the field for games creating only more distress between McMahon and Norwalk High. 

In my interview with Ashley Rysz she stated, “Norwalk High is really irritating, they set up their practice times right as we’re cleaning up”. She makes the argument; “when we had no field we had to go practice at Brookside, but they get to come to our field instead.” 

In my interview with Alexa Smith she stated, “We definitely have a chance to do better than last year. A lot of other teams are in the same position we’re in. Our goal is to make states”. 

A lot of freshmen are joining the softball team this year which is great for growth, this will even out for the amount of loss the softball team faced the last few seasons with almost all of their starters graduating. 

This year, while most definitely still a rebuild year looks bright. Come by to the girls first game Saturday, March 30th, against West Haven at 11 am.