The McMahon Archive

Home of the McMahoniacs

The McMahon Archive

The McMahon Archive

Signing Day At McMahon

To an athlete, being committed to a school means giving your all in both your sport and academics. Signing Day here at McMahon is an exciting event where dedicated student-athletes officially commit to playing their sport at a college or university. It’s a special day when the student-athlete announces their decision and signs a letter of intent, solidifying their commitment to the school. 

Last Wednesday, we celebrated 4 student-athletes who have dedicated countless hours to their sport and academics. During NCAA Signing Day we celebrated… 

Kris Flores – Marist College for Swim. 

Alison Kolman – Northeastern University for Dive 

Abby Ortolano –  Boston University for Soccer 

Grace Simpson – University of New Haven for Soccer

This is what was said when asked how their dedication to their sport has set them up for success;

“With swimming I was taught resilience as I wake up early to go practice then go to school and swim even more after school. I think that It’s given me perseverance and has prepared me to do the same in college, maintaining a sport and a school balance while performing at a high level within both.” Said Kris Flores in regards to the question. 

“My dedication to Athletics has impacted me in the academic scene because I understand time management better.” Explained Alison Kolman while being asked how her sport has impacted her.

Being a student-athlete is so much more than just playing a sport while going to school, It means attending practices and games, putting in the extra hours of training, and always striving to improve your skills. It also means representing your school with pride and sportsmanship, both on and off the field. 

“It’s representative of the real world. You have to go out and play hard things that aren’t just given to you.” Said our Athletic Director, John Cross.

As an athletic director, how does the McMahon Athletic Community set kids up for achievements like these? We asked John Cross with respect to this event. 

“Good coaches, high expectations, and good teachers. Most of these students are great in the classroom. So, if you’re not a good student many doors will not open for you. I’m sure we’ll also have a handful of more athletes here in the Spring as well. It’s a tough road going in as little fish now in a competitive field where everyone around them is as good as them. These kids are going to have to take their game to a whole new level.”  

Achievements like these celebrate their talent, perseverance, and the recognition of their potential. So, Congratulations to all our recognized Student Athletes, and the best of luck in this new stage of your careers!